Feb 22, 2017 to now

People frequently ask me how my diagnosis came about.  There seems to be a misconception that the body goes through a dramatic change and alarm bells go off indicating to the individual that something is wrong, that cancer has arrived.  Not so.  It is more like the frog in the boiling water scenario; slowly the water temperature is increased and the frog happily splashes around not aware of the impending doom until it is too late.  This is often that case with colorectal cancer.  It began with periodic loose bowel movements, blood here or there, gas pains; all contributed to a history of IBS as a child.  It wasn't until fall of 2016 that the bowel changes became so consistent that I mentioned my concern to my physician at my annual physical.  Thank God for Dr. Anghel; the first physician to listen and take seriously my concern.  What resulted was an appointment with the gastrointerologist who didn't even finish the case history before setting down his pen and telling me I would have to have a colonscopy.  Four weeks late, as I slowly awoke from my drugged stupor, I heard the murmurings of nurses voices talking about scheduling with a surgeon ASAP, the word "tumor" was mentioned, and then I heard my name.
What followed was appointments with my surgeon, the oncology team, blood work, CT scans, PET scans, ultrasound, and liver biopsy until the diagnosis of Stage IV rectal cancer was made.
My spring was spent with daily radiation and oral chemo treatments over 6 weeks.  My body responded well and I was optimistic going into my first surgery.  June 26, my first major surgery to remove the rectal tumor, adjacent lymph nodes, and create a temporary iliostomy, and power port placement.  Four weeks went by learning to live with "Chloe" the iliostomy and recovering from surgery.  July 24 arrived bright and early for a 5am surgery check in.  Goodbye Chloe!  Iliostomy reversal and liver metastases removal was on the agenda.  All but one of the liver lesions was able to be removed.  After an 8 day stay in the hospital getting my bowels to wake up and managing the pain from the liver resections, I am back home. Next step, I will need to travel to Salt Lake City to have the stubborn liver lesion removed.  It is located just under my diaphragm making it a surgically difficult spot to remove.  After surgery, I am ready to begin 6 months of "mop up" chemo though infusion.

Thank you for continuing to walk this journey with us!

Comments

  1. Praying for you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this update. I've been wondering how your treatment was coming along. You are strong and courageous Nancy. Praying for your complete healing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nancy for creating this blog. Yes will be great to get updates when there are new things to share. We love you and pray for you everyday. You are strong and courageous!! You have lots of people praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Nancy for creating this. We are continuing to pray for complete healing. You are a victory in the making.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, support & many prayers on your behalf. Know at least some of what you dealt with, as I've had Ulcerative Colitis for a long time....thankfully, it goes into remission for a few years, so I get some relief, which doesn't happen for many people.....& I understand the apprehension that comes with further tests & biopsies. I have a friend going thru the time of "unknowing".... it feels like her life is on hold. But God is still greater than any of this, and HE is in control. You draw upon His strength in your weakest times & we will continue to pray for your endurance, courage & healing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nancy, I'm so sorry I haven't expressed my concern to you directly before today, though I have been thinking of you and praying for you since Diane first told me your diagnosis. Thank you for being so open and sharing yourself, your amazing spirit, your faith over the past few months. Though we fell too far out of touch, I admire you so much and thank God for how he's working in your body already. You are a miracle, not only in body but in attitude and spirit. I appreciate your giving us this blog so that we can pray more informedly and drop you notes without your feeling any pressure to respond! Just know we are in your corner. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday-#2 infusion

Updating....